How I'm combining my new slimline Filofax with my Midori Traveler's Notebook.



If you're struggling to choose between a Filofax or ring-bound planner and a Traveler's Notebook keep reading to find out how I combine the two systems by using a slimline Filofax ...


What I use my Traveler's Notebook for


My main use of my Midori Traveler's Notebook is a journal. It is essentially a brain dump of all the things I have going on in my head.

Sometimes I journal about my thoughts, feelings and experiences in a deep and reflective way, but a lot of the time I just write about mundane things like what I did today and who annoyed me.

My journal is like my best friend, only better. I go to it for non-judgmental consolation. It helps me to organise my thoughts, understand myself better and live a happier and more productive life. 

Because Traveler's Notebook covers can carry more than one notebook, I also have notebooks in there to jot down creative ideas for stories, characters, scenes and creative projects, because I'm a writer. I like to make lists and doodle too.


Why I swapped my Filofax for a TN


When I discovered the Midori Traveler's Notebook I abandoned all of my Filofaxes because I felt that my attention was too divided, and that my Filofaxes were preventing me from bonding with my gorgeous new leather TN notebook. 

The main appeal of the Midori for me is that it is a very personal possession which will grow with me, gaining more and more personality as I handle leather, acquiring all the wonderful nicks and marks that make TNs  so unique.

I wanted to use my Midori exclusively, so I sold most of my Filofaxes and designed a weekly planner in one of the Midori Notebook Refills instead. This was a mistake by the way – NEVER sell all of your Filofaxes, you WILL regret it eventually. Just store them away somewhere safe.

After a while I found that whilst bound notebooks are perfect for journaling, sketching, scrapbooking and jotting things down due to the chronological nature and subsequently more 'permanent' vibe, I really missed the 'organisational' aspect of having rings and being able to move things around as I planned my weekly schedule and daily tasks.

The problem I faced was that I didn't necessarily want to carry my Midori Traveler's Notebook AND a bulky Filofax - if you are a lover of the Filofax you'll know exactly how bulky and cumbersome they tend to get! 

I needed a Filofax that was discrete enough to complement my TN and create a perfect and complete portable system.


How I solved my problem by combining a slimline Filofax with a TN


The main problem was that while I wanted the use of a Filofax 'ring-bound' system for my everyday planning, I didn't want to start using a Filofax that would end up stuffed and take over from my TN. 

I was lucky enough to find the perfect solution on Ebay ...

I discovered (and won the bid, so it was obviously meant to be) the slimmest and most discrete Filofax I have ever seen in my life. 

It is an old vintage Filofax so it doesn't have the model name or type embossed on it, but it does have the 'f' symbol embossed on the side and 'Filofax, Made in England, Real Calf' printed in gold inside the back cover. So it's definitely a Filofax!

It is really good quality, durable black grainy leather with a slight sheen, and the rings are SO dinky because it's a 'slimline' – about 1 cm.

It sits perfectly on top of my Midori Traveler's Notebook and I have bound them together with a large clip that also acts as a pen holder. 


Why this Filofax/TN setup is so great

 
I love the flexibility and organisational aspect of being able to use the ring-bound system of the Filofax planner to move inserts around when I am doing my daily, weekly and monthly planning.

I also love the fixed chronology and sense of permanency I get from the TN with bound notebooks for journalling, doodling, sketching etc. 

I had toyed with the idea of trying to find a way to attach rings to the inside of the Midori, and I know that this has been done with Filofax Flex notebook binders, but I couldn't bring myself to go that far. I knew that I needed a Filofax that I would be happy carrying alongside my Midori, and this slimline fits the bill perfectly.


What is it like to have tiny rings in a Filofax?


Normally I would definitely NOT be able to deal with having such tiny rings in a Filofax, especially if I were using the Filofax as my main organiser – I like to really stuff them! So you may be wondering how I am dealing with such tiny rings. 

The truth is that they force me to use the Filofax specifically for what I intended – a day-to-day planner for the here-and-now. The small rings encourage me not to carry around a load of inserts that I'm not really using on a daily basis. 

I used to carry a whole year's worth of diary planning inserts, plus extra paper, and it just wasn't necessary. It actually made me feel less productive because my Filofax became less focused and less organised. As a result I felt increasingly overwhelmed.

Now I reserve my Midori TN for all of the creative stuff, and I use the FF ring-bound system purely for planning. 

I really do love the tiny rings. Because the appeal of the slimline Filofax is its portability and slim profile there is no desire to stuff it. When there is too much paper in there it starts to become more difficult and less enjoyable to physically use, so you have no choice but to take a few sheets out so that the pages can move more freely again.  

This is a good reminder of when it's time to declutter. I regularly re-evaluate what I really need, taking out inserts that are no longer useful. 

This minimal set-up is helping me to stay more focused and I have a much clearer idea of what I need to do next, which means I don't feel as stressed. 

I design my own inserts and only draw up a month or two at a time. I intend to remove and archive the months as I go.

I have to say there is something very satisfying about minimalism, and only using what you need.




I hope that you have enjoyed reading about my new Filofax and TN combined setup, and that it has inspired you to think about how you use your own planning and journaling tools.

As always, please head down to the comments section and leave your thoughts, I love to read and respond to all comments!

Intrigued by what it looks like to use these two beauties together? Watch my video where I show you my secret trick to help them both together.



See you in the next post!


Loved it and want more?




6 comments:

  1. This was interesting to read as I'm working through a similar problem. I bought a Slimline Filofax with the tiny rings about 10 years ago and eventually learned to adapt to the constraints, though only being able to incorporate a month on 2 pages calendar was always difficult. Over the past year or so, I've found myself using the Filofax less and less, while at the same time becoming lax about my to-do list (loosely based on GTD), so in March I decided to try a modified Bullet Journaling system using a staplebound Clairefontaine notebook.

    While that system has worked well, I need to have the other planner bits on hand as well, like a place to put coupons and stamps, my address book, etc., so I've made my own Midori-style leather cover with the elastic bands and put in my Bullet Journal notebook as well as the other DIY elements. So far I like being "ring-less," as it makes for easier jotting, but we'll see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate :) I had never seen such tiny rings before this one, so when i received it from ebay I really quite surprised. It's lovely to hold in your hand though, I was holding it while walking around Paperchase the other day shopping for accessories and it just felt 'right'.

      To be honest I'm not entirely sure how I will get on with them either, I am used to having stuffed organisers, but I really want to be more practical, and my real love goes to the Midori, so I don't want to risk not using that to its full potential.

      I keep hearing about this bullet journalling system, and I have to say I am now quite curious. I will have to look it up and see what it's all about.

      I do agree with you on the fact that no rings makes it easier to jot, I think that's why I was never able to use any of my Filofaxes happily for journalling or sketching or taking noted for any extended length of time. But I have definitely missed hole punching scraps of paper and rearranging bits and pieces for weekly and monthly planning. So yes, we'll see how it all goes.

      Thanks so much for you comments!
      x

      Delete
  2. Hi Zara, that's a smart and stylish winning combination! I love the look and the useful combo. I belief you brought up a clever solution that will work nicely - and help you focus on the essential stuff - in a Zen-like way. Well done& enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylke :) It is a pretty smart combo isn't it? It feels a bit strange and wonderful to have a filofax small enough to focus only on the one thing, it really works. I succumbed to ordering a chocolate charleston compact on ebay last night, because I panicked when someone told me they were being discontined. I've had my eye on it for a while but have been put off the price. It was a bit of a guilty purchase, but I think it will be a nice alternative if the vintage doesn't work out because the Charleston rings are slightly bigger. It's always nice to have at least one spare Filofax i think, when you fancy a change of scene. So I will be posting about that after it arrives on Friday. Thanks so much for your comments x

      Delete
  3. ok now I'm sold. I've used a filofax for over 20 years. I love it. But every time I see this Midori.........oy I just crave one. I also love bound notebooks, as you do. I must hunt for a Midori, yours is just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I know what you mean :) You can get some pretty good imitations on etsy.com which are sometimes a little bit cheaper and come in a wider range of colours and materials. S far I am enjoying using my Midori alongside a very slim compact :) But the rings are rather tiny... So I'm still undecided.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments and getting involved! :)

Never Miss A Post...