Filofax Paper Planner Vs. Smartphone


Smartphone Versus Planner
Image by marijana1 from Pixabay 

They call them 'Smartphones' for a reason, although, I'm not sure what the reason is, because mine isn't very smart, and I'll tell you why. When it comes to your smartphone versus your planner, which one is going to take first place for you?





















Yes, this is an ancient blog post with mentions of mobile phones when you could actually remove the battery! I hope you enjoy the nostalgia of this post ...


When I purchased my very first 'smartphone', on my very first pay-monthly contract, I have to admit I was a bit besotted.

I abandoned my Pocket Guildford Filofax and my Moleskine for an online calendar syncing system and took full advantage of every note-taking app I could download for free.

Even my laptop became a bit redundant when I discovered a screenwriting app, a 'quickoffice' app, and various blogging and social networking apps.


Smartphone planner vs paper planner
Image by William Iven from Pixabay 


It was bliss and most of my spare time was spent squinting at the mini-screen - On the bus, in bed, and on the loo. But this is not where my story ends.


The cons of using my smartphone as my planner

 
I soon found that my battery was just not up to the job.  What happened to those good old Nokia phones that used to last about a week before they needed re-charging?  My new 'smartphone'  dies at the most inconvenient of times, and I can barely get through a day. 

So to rectify the problem I got into the habit of having the phone permanently on charge whenever I was at home so that at least I would know that when I was out it would be fine.  But effectively this only made the problem worse.

Then a few months ago the worst thing imaginable happened. The socket where my charger lead fits into my phone became loose.  First, a little wiggle did the trick, then a good shove kick-started the charging process.

But I'd have to keep an eye on it because it would randomly stop charging, which I found to be jolly inconvenient. Suddenly I was waking up in the morning to find it was actually the afternoon.

My so-called 'smartphone', which had cockily replaced my alarm clock too, had conked out in the middle of the night because it had stopped charging two minutes after I had drifted off to sleep!  I don't know about you, but I don't think this is very smart.

In a short space of time, the situation became so ridiculous that I was balancing the phone upright and on its side – sometimes upside down, wedged in a groove between a stack of books, with an elastic band wrapped around the phone to maintain the connection.


Are paper planners better than digital planners?
Image by Rudy and Peter Skitterians from Pixabay 


It was at this point that I had had enough. I mean, I was about to lose my rag. I was about to give in and purchase a new 'smartphone' when my aunt suggested an external charger for the battery.

So I ordered a charger on eBay that sticks in the wall and I have to take the battery out of the phone and slot it into the charger every time it needs charging.  For this reason, I now have two batteries, so that one can be charging while I am using my phone.  

But each barely lasts a day, and the MOST annoying thing is that my nails break now on a daily basis as I try to pry the phone open to swap the batteries over.  The whole thing is completely bonkers.

What's worse is that when I purchased the smartphone I didn't automatically become a 'smart-owner' of the 'smartphone'. I was mislead into paying insurance I didn't ask for.  I discovered this earlier today whilst analysing my bank statement.   £7.99 a month since this time last year - Annoying!

So here I have been, struggling with all the flaws of my decrepit piece of 'advanced technology' for a good three or four months, and I had insurance that I didn't even know about, and could simply have had the thing replaced!  

Apparently a month or so free insurance comes automatically with phones when you purchase the contract, but the loophole is that you have to remember to cancel it after the free period if you don't want to pay for it, which I didn't.

Filofax Fanciers may be relieved to know that I am back to using Filofax planners. They are SO much better than 'smartphone' calendar apps., and here's why...


Digital planner vs. paper planner

 
I thought it would be fun to place digital planners and paper planners side-by-side in a "real-life situation" challenge to see which one tallies up the most points. 

I have divided up the sections and scored each one out of 5 – with 5 being "the best".


Digital Planner Vs. Paper Planner
Image by Łukasz Cwojdziński from Pixabay


These are of course my own opinions and just a bit of fun. I would love to hear your thoughts though, so if you would like to share them in the comments below, please feel free :)


HEALTH

Staring at a Filofax for hours gives you nothing but pleasure...
Staring at a 'Smartphone' for hours gives you a headache!
SCORE:
Filofax 5/5
'Smartphone' 0/5

PORTABILITY

My 'Smartphone' fits pretty much anywhere - In my pocket, in my handbag, and even in my Filofax, but the battery-life means that functionally using it on the go can often be short-lived if I don't have my charger with me. And the charger takes up more space in the bag.

My Filofax takes up space in my bag too and can be heavy depending on what size I have chosen to use, but at least all of my information is constantly accessible.
SCORE:
Filofax 3/5
'Smartphone' 3/5

MULTI-FUNCTIONALITY 

My 'Smartphone does pretty much everything, all I have to do is download an app, and put up with touch-screen typing which can be annoying.

My Filofax can be specifically designed and organised according to my needs as well.  My A5 Filofax works as a portable office-desk which is great for commuting, and my Pocket Filofax can double up as a wallet, and also slot my phone in, so it's almost like a clutch bag!
SCORE:
Filofax 5/5
'Smartphone' 4/5

ATTRACTIVENESS

My 'Smartphone is discrete and formal but can be jazzed up with clip-on covers, gel covers, sleeves, and holders.  My Filofax - well I don't think I need to say that I am in love and fancy it to pieces, no fancy accessories needed. Enough said.
SCORE:
Filofax 4/5
'Smartphone' 5/5



TOTALS:  


FILOFAX 17/20
SMARTPHONE' 12/20


Well, there we have it. Filofax is a clear winner. What do you think?


Until next time ...











Loved it and want more?




8 comments:

  1. This: Staring at a Filofax for hours gives you nothing but pleasure...
    Staring at a 'Smartphone' for hours gives you a headache!

    LOLOL! So true! I do love getting podcasts on my iphone but to be honest the worst thing is does is being a phone, which is kind of odd.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, glad I've given you a giggle Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to talk about the time savings when you use a filofax. It takes all but a few seconds to note down a calendar entry in my filofax but forever to first find the right day, then note down when, where, what etc. on my smartphone.

    Then there's of course the fact that my filofax calendar gives me a great, easy to see overview of my week. My Calendar on my smartphone does not do that...I have to open each and every day separately!

    Oh, I do love my smartphone for a lot of things. Especially lists. But overall, I find arranging and putting in information on it really is more cumbersome than it is helpful. Mainly because of the tiny little "keyboard".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh God yes - all those annoying sections to fill our on the smartphone before you can even put a date in your diary... and the tiny keyboard...

    I do like my smartphone, and I would definitely feel a bit lost without the email alerts and easy access to social networks, but its definitely not a Filofax replacment!

    Thanks for your comments :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think you are not familiar with new technology. People normally use what they already using. They don't want to upgrade themselves. Dear , I think smart phones arr much more easy to use and reliable in every sense. If you know how to handle them. which smart phone do you need. before buying we should check our requirements. I had my phone working perfectly........... i used non stopped about 12 hours..daily for 3 days...... and battery works fine. other than talk time. i never charged on daily basis. still its working perfectly........i can , make notes, calendar, events, organizer, as Facebook, checks emails ....take snaps makes videos.........and much more.......
    I think we must upgrade ourselves with new technology..........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello alizaffarali,

    Pleased to meet you, thanks for taking the time out to comment on my blog post :)

    Firstly I am glad you have managed to make great use of your smartphone, good for you! (Do you own a Filofax? Perhaps you'd like to entertain us with your own 'personal Filofax vs. smartphone comparison list'?

    I have a sneaky feeling that anyone following this blog will probably be pro-Filofax, seeing as it is a blog dedicated to the nifty little organisers, and in my own defence, anything I write on here is just my own perspective, and mainly aimed at entertaining Filofax fans and lovers of stationary. In no way do I mean to offend anyone in my Filofax ramblings - its all just a bit of fun, you know? Nothing personal intended, life is too short.

    Also, I may have pulled my smartphone to pieces in the blog post, but I still love it to bits, even though I am currently breaking nails on a daily basis to swap over the batteries.

    What smartphone do you use? Mine is a HTC Incredible S. And my filofax is an A5 aqua Chameleon BEAUTY!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I was more efficent in using my filofax, but going around an office looks much more profesional with a filofax in hand as appose to a phone where your boss will just assume you're texting away :P - (I imagine) as I'm only a college student haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know exactly what you mean! :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments and getting involved! :)

Never Miss A Post...